Monday, July 05, 2010

TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF

Last week was my first week of work and I've never been so exhausted while in HK haha. I may be a drama mama but cut me some slack, it's my first real job. I'm working at a place called LP Architects and it's a relatively small company. The Sunday before my first day was so nerve-wracking. I was completely dreading it. I just had so many mixed feelings about it..I felt like my summer was gone, waking up early everyday would suck, everyone will hate me..etc. But I think most of all, I was afraid of being the failed intern who did everything wrong.

My first day ended up being alright minus the commute. It takes about 50 minutes (walk, train, walk) to get to the office by 9. That might sound average except the weather here is the worst. It's typically above 95 degrees with the highest humidity percentage EVER. Definitely hotter than Africa. Anyways, after my train ride I have to hike up two STEEEEEP roads before I get to the building. I always show up sweating profusely in so many places I didn't even know could sweat. That's how I showed up on my first day of work...I met everyone in the office and realized I was the only girl besides one of my bosses and the secretary. Still haven't decided if that's a good thing or not haha. I was put to work right away and was surprised they actually let me do real architecture work. I was expecting to work a typical office job. The second day I got to tag along to visit a site where we're currently building a new residence. I felt like such a noob and just stood there watching the architects and contractors discuss and argue. It was interesting at first but that quickly passed after about 20 minutes when I started fully sweating again. Construction site, no ventilation, HK humidity=no good.

After just a few days, I'm slowly getting the hang of things and complaining less. I don't dread going to work as much now that it's less awkward in the office and I'm learning more about how things work. I've realized that I'm extremely slow at working..I mean I always knew I was from studio haha..but it has hit me hard while working here because people are constantly watching and waiting for me to produce. I get so stressed because I don't want to disappoint. I'm getting better though and will ask for help instead of figure things out in the most inefficient way possible lol. Soo grateful to have working friends in similar time zones who are usually online to chat with/help me during my confused hours :) Currently they're having me design the entrance and some rooms for a childrens' center and it's been interesting to see it all come together. Everything happens so fast!

This will probably be my most productive summer up to date. I hope to learn lots, complain less haha.. and quit wasting precious time.

1 comment:

Mu-Ping said...

lol sounds like an unfinished entry, but ok. at least you know you're getting a workout whenever you go to work :)